Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Truce

The Woman has brokered a truce with my Rival. It is against my better judgement as it can not hold but she remembers a time when our civility wasn't forced, a time when our smiles weren't just masks we wore in passing. The Woman wishes to return to those far-gone days, the days before my fallen friendship, the days before her own dark history with my Rival. She is a better person than both of us in this regard as we can only see to our coming conflict. I acquiesced while feigning belligerence, which she easily saw through. If this is what she wanted I would support her. I would watch this truce burn on its own merits and be there when she was ready to fight back. In a way this Truce has bought me some breathing room as I have other problems that need attending to.
The loss of my Lieutenant has created ripples among my band. The Mage is holding, an effective planner, the work is getting done but it is only a matter of time before he is challenged. Already I see the Barbarian plotting. Frequently I have seen the need to intervene as he will listen to no one besides myself and only then when it suits him. His delusions of grandeur have even set his eyes on my position. He has seen opportunity outside our little group now and has begun to whisper in my lords ears. It seems his efforts have been rewarded. My liege has begun to task him directly. My liege has also begun to court the Ronin, and I can feel the Lieutenants manipulative hand in this despite our parley. Already his knowledge of us is working against my plans. I believe in the Ronin's loyalty but I also know that he can only wander for so long. His skills are useful and more detrimentally to myself,completely obvious. It was only a matter of time before he was lured away by the promise of gold and glory. The Giant will also be leaving soon, returning to his homeland. A departure I had long expected but had begun to dread. A calming influence on the group, a foil to the barbarian, I had begun to count on him for stability. None of these problems are insurmountable on their own but I can see what is coming and it does not bode well for me.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the Mage needs some help or does he already have some not mentioned?

    ReplyDelete