Thursday, February 12, 2015

Kinetic

     (orginally scribed 02-20-12, year of the walrus)

     It is a fundamental property of magic that an object in motion tends to remain in motion, resisting changes spatially and ethereally until its starting energy is spent.  It is not my field but every novice is taught these base theories.  "Every action there is a reaction" the base law of fate.  "Magic can neither be created or destroyed, only manipulated" the base law of the arcane.  These simple phrases any novice of any order can spit out but only in my age do I see how far they rule our lives.
     Change has come, the object in motion.  Others wail with confusion and defiance but I know enough to accept the change however disdainful it seems at present.  I am not willing to expend the energy to change the direction of the object.  I do not have it in me yet.  My lord gone I have simply endured under the leadership of those once my equals.  There bickering, both natural and manufactured ensures no one looks in my direction for long.   My cadre broken, I have formed another from its ashes.  I have elevated the Mage to my second in command. It is he who now controls my men with the Veteran at his side. It is he who ensures that the wards are renewed around the kingdom, the torches lit at night, and the populace sleeps without knowing the trouble just under the surface.  I have sent word to the Ronin.  He will be entering these lands as per his custom, as the time of troubles has nearly come full circle.  The fungus that has blighted the kingdom has given way in respite, its vegetative fury spent. For the first time in ages I have time to breathe, time to think, time to plan.  This change has presented me an opportunity to either find my fortune elsewhere or increase my station.  The moons have aligned as they have not in decades and I mean to exploit.      
     
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment