Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Giant

The intrigues of the kingdom sometimes require a strong hand to be played.  The politics of the castle keep us constantly vying for position.  Each of my colleagues straining for the ear of their dukes and lords, willing to step over each other to get that attention.  I am in no way vilifying their intentions as I too have done hard things in my own quest for upward mobility.  Our own tasks however require more than just planning.  We have a wealth of cunning, strategy, and wisdom with no small share of trickery and deceit.  To elevate my status, to accomplish more for my lieges I needed more strength than my injured Barbarian could muster, more than just the raw skill of my Ronin, more than the feral cunning of my Lieutenant.

The Giant
Visually this man is a powerhouse.  With this man at my back no other could challenge me.  None other would dare.  A gladiator by trade he battles for the amusement of the populace.  Coliseums have been packed on his name alone however he rarely fights alone, his specialty is fighting with companions.  It is this quality that has brought him to my attention.  His years of experience in the arena have shown him the value of a team.  I sought simply at first to control him but his large frame belied a gentle soul and I seek now only to understand him.  Not only does he bring the power I wished for, the simple power of intimidation by sight, but his quiet easy going nature also strengthens the bonds that this group is forming.  I had wanted a fist but I instead received a shield, which has far more value for me now.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment